Museum Catalog Entry (Volunteer)
The Pittsburg Historical Museum is filled with artifacts, photos, documents, maps, books and others objects that need to be cataloged. We are seeking qualified and enthusiastic volunteers to enter artifact information into our museum catalog system. Museum Catalog Entry volunteers will get hands-on experience working with historical artifacts using museum industry software.
You’ll learn best practices in the cataloging, which involves updating metadata including descriptions, object classification, condition, location, and more. Volunteers will also learn to use the Nomenclature for Museum Catalog Classification System for collections of cultural objects. Nomenclature is the standard cataloguing tool for thousands of museums and historical organizations across the United States and Canada.
NOTE: Volunteers are required to bring their own laptops.
- Volunteers will be trained on all systems and processes.
- Links to video tutorials will be sent in advance.
- Enthusiasm for history and working with historical artifacts
- Experience working with cloud-based applications preferred, but not required.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Excel
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
If you’re interested in volunteering, click the CONTACT US button below.