Camp Stoneman was the main point of embarkation for troops en route to the Pacific Theatre during WWII and the Korean War. The main gates were located on Railroad Ave. where the Atchison Apartment complex is presently located.
The Army docks were located along E. 3rd St. just west of Harbor St. Troops would march to and fro along Harbor St. to the base entrance located at California St.
The Women's Auxiliary Army Corps stationed at Camp Stoneman were a major force on base that handled many of the administartive dutues as well as other tasks. This is also an example of the many military standard barracks that populated the camp.
ca 1935 a view from the roof of the A. Paladine Fish Co. that was managed by Frank Cardinalli. One can see the nets laid out to dry on the racks for mending. In the background behind the water tower is the Booth Cannery. The small building on the left with smoke coming out was used to brew the tanning solution to clean and preserve the cotton fishing nets. Fishing boats can be seen at the end
ca 1940 Fishermen's Wharf
ca 1917 an inside look at Booth's Cannery. Workers are labeling cans and packing them. While we mainly think of salmon around the Sacramento Delta, Booth contracted with fishermen to hrvest sardines at Richardson Bay near Sausalito and outside the Golden Gate in the Pacific Ocean. Front right Katherine "Katie" Ascanio-Galuzzio. Photo courtesy the Frank DeRosa Collection.
ca 1875 The Black Diamond Exchange Hotel is to the middle, left. The cmpany barns right of center is where the horsea and mules were kept. Coal, bunkers and smoke stacks in the background. Note the school children in front of the fence and the man posing to the left of the fence.
Main St. before the fire of 1878. Left to right is the butcher shop, barber shop, boarding house, and the Knights of Pythius Hall. Bote the all townsfolk posing for the photo.
This particular locomotive and coal car train was utilized at the Empire Coal mines in Antioch begining in 1876. This is a fine example of what would have been running from the mines in Nortonville out of the foothills, down Railroad Ave. and terminating at the Black Diamond coaling station at the waterfront. From their barges and ships would transport the coal load to ports in San Francisco, St
An aerial view of the massive Columbia Steel plant that began operations in 1910 and is scheduled for closure at the end of 2023. In became a subsidiary of U.S. Steel in the 1930s. At one time 5,500 workers were employed working around the clock.
ca 1940s Wire Rope Mill. An example of workers utilizing tongs to grab the super heated metal and feeding it into machine that would further compress and reduce the circumferance of the rod to the desired length. The Steel Worker Statue created by artist Frank Vitalie that is located on Railiroad Ave. and E. 5th St. demonstrates this in a stylized fashion.
Men of Steel! Liquid iron from the blast furnace is poured from the ladle into an open hearth furnace to mix with already melted steel scrap. The open hearth furnace removes carbon and other elements to transorm iron into steel.
Established in 1903 Redwood Manufacturers was C.A. Hoopers first industrial enterprise in his newly purchased town of Black Diamond. It was the largest of its kind in the world. This post card only captures a small view of the plant. All wood products from A-Z were produced and finsihed here and then shipped around the world. The plant was located just east of Harbor St. on Industrial Row fr
1923 an amazing five masted sailing ship calling on Redwood Manufacturers docked here in New York Slough. This was a common sight.
1923 One example of product that was made are redwood piping that were banded with metal for use as sewer lines. Many of these lines were dug up right here in Pittsburg and replaced with modern piping in the 1960s and '70s.